Thursday, February 10, 2011

Hitting the "restart" button

It's really funny how the foods we eat are often reflective of our mood.  For the last two weeks or so, I have felt pretty crappy for a lot of reasons.  Both my physical and mental state have been pretty bad after dealing with some personal struggles and losses.  So, accordingly, I've been stuffing myself with garbage... which only serves to make me feel even MORE like garbage.

So, it's time to hit the restart button. 

I was watching an episode of Oprah the other day and she had Michael Pollan and Kathy Freston on to discuss the food system in America.  I was already familiar with Pollan after reading some of his books, but Freston was a new face.  She is an author, and a vegan, and I was impressed by not only WHAT she had to say, but the non-judgmental way of HOW she said it.  So I did a little research on her and came across her book "The Quantum Wellness Cleanse".  It's a 21-day program that, from the description, is not the typical juice-fast type of "detox cleanse" but rather a physical, mental and spiritual cleanse.  Needless to say, I could stand to clean out the cobwebs in all three so I figured I'd give it a shot.

I'm in the preparation phase, which is basically just three days of writing down what you eat and why.  Now THAT is easy.  I'm not sure what will be with the rest of it, but this part is a breeze.

So, here's a summary of yesterday:
  • 5:00 AM, Coffee with half & half and sugar
  • 5:30 AM, Bowl of cereal with almond milk
  • 7:30 AM, Sugar-free Carnation instant breakfast smoothie with peanut butter & almond milk
  • 10:00 AM, Cup of watermelon cubes
  • 11:30 AM, Lemongrass chicken (yeah, I actually ate chicken), white rice, salad
  • 2:00 PM, Pomegranate seeds (about 1 cup)
  • 7:00 PM, Vegetarian "Cowboy Casserole" (veggie crumbles, canned tomatoes, kidney beans, potatoes, salt, pepper, garlic - sort of like a non-chili version of chili), honey oat bread, salad
I'm really trying not to read ahead in the book so I don't get too overwhelmed.  :)  Who knows if this will make me actually feel any better... at the very least, maybe it will take my mind off of my mood. 

So, follow along as I give this a shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment