Sunday, February 13, 2011

Doing My Sleeping Beauty Impression

Well, yesterday was Day 1 of the "Quantum Wellness Cleanse"...  Since I'm only reading one day at a time, I gathered that I wasn't supposed to have caffeine or sugar, and I was supposed to reduce/eliminate my gluten intake.  I don't understand the gluten thing... as far as I know, unless you have a gluten sensitivity like Celiac disease, there's not really any harm in it.  I don't know.  I guess maybe I'll learn more as I read through the book.

On Friday night I tried out one of the recipes from the book for dinner that was gluten free.  It was Spaghetti with Pesto Cream.  The recipe is also vegan and I wondered how the Pesto would turn out without the parmesan cheese.  To my surprise, the pesto was awesome.  There were some odd ingredients in it, like white miso and nutritional yeast, but the end product tasted exactly like regular pesto... and may have even been a bit better.  The spaghetti, on the other hand, was made from rice (I assume semolina has gluten).  Rice spaghetti is definitely not for me.  The noodles were mushy and sticky and just gross.  Not good.

So yesterday, Day 1, I followed directions and skipped my usual morning coffee.  Actually, I made decaf instead.  I know decaf is not really that great for you either but I think my attachment to the "ritual" of morning coffee is just too strong to skip it all together.  I'm not sure whether it was caffeine withdrawal or just a regular old migraine, but at about 9:30 or so my head was just on fire.  I took an imitrex and went to sleep.  I didn't wake up till almost 3:00 pm.  I pretty much lost the entire day.  Of course, I had a million things that I was planning on doing, but so much for that!

Last night I went out to dinner with some co-workers to Santiago's in Bisbee.  I have absolutely no clue whether or not I "cheated" with Spinach Enchiladas (I think they were made with corn tortillas which SHOULD be gluten free) but I'm pretty sure the cheese was verboten.  Oh well, I think the fact that I skipped the caffeine (and dessert) is pretty impressive either way.

Oh, one last thing... also part of the cleanse is a mandatory meditation.  I don't think I have the ability to meditate.  The whole time my mind is racing.  Breathe in.... How long do I have to sit here?  I have so much to do.  Breathe out... I wonder if that was a deep enough breath.  Am I getting enough oxygen?  How long do I need to sit here???

No comments:

Post a Comment