Thursday, January 13, 2011

Stocking up (or not)...

I really despise grocery shopping.  I'm talking about that "big" kind of grocery shopping you do on a Sunday afternoon... the kind of shopping that requires a big list and a two hour block of time... the kind that makes you feel like you just ran a race, and lost miserably.  I refuse to do this sort of shopping.

My husband, on the other hand, is one of those people who likes to "stock up" on things.  If there aren't at least 300 rolls of toilet paper in the cabinet he feels like we are just about to run out.  He's the sort of guy who would prefer to go to the wholesale stores that allow you to buy in bulk and LITERALLY fill the car with so much crap that you can't even see out the back window.  It matters very little whether or not we need the crap but it's just important that we have it.

I prefer a "just in time" shopping method.  I don't like to keep a whole lot of extra stuff in the house.  Granted there are certain things that I always make sure we have in stock (we will NEVER run out of coffee) but there is something almost romantic about the idea of thoughtfully planning dinner each day and heading to the market for the freshest ingredients.  I imagine myself on a bicycle somewhere in Naples going to my neighbors farm to pick up some San Marzano tomatoes.  Yes, Arizona is a far cry from Naples, but you get the point.

The downside to all this is felt during those times when you just can't get to the grocery store.  When I was on the East coast, even the slightest mention of snow would cause a rush of people to stock up on bread, milk and other staples.  Heaven forbid!  We may be snowed in for weeks!  While there is no longer the threat of snow out here in the Southwest, there is the issue of my frequent migraines.  I've been getting these for more than 20 years and when I do, there is little I can do other than medicate and hide in a dark room... At these moments, there is just no way I can pry myself out of bed for a trip to the grocery store.

Which brings us to today...

I had big plans to try out a new recipe for a sweet potato and leek gratin.  My short grocery list for my post-work shopping trip consisted of two things... sweet potatoes and leeks.  Since I've been house-bound all day with a migraine, my gratin is just not going to happen.  Instead, I've been left to scrounge around in my fridge and cabinets trying to put something together for dinner.  Thankfully I had some pretty good ingredients on hand and was able to put together a meal I am calling "Stuck-in-the-house" Chili.

Stuck-in-the-house Chili
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup chopped celery
3/4 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup chopped carrots
2 plum tomatoes
1 bunch of cilantro
1 chipotle pepper in adobo
3 cups veg broth
1 cup water
3 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes
3 cups "Bob's Red Mill" Whole Grains and Beans soup mix
1 Tbs chili powder
1 tsp cumin
Salt

Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a big soup pot.  Saute the onions, carrots, celery and garlic until vegetables are tender.  While vegetables are cooking, add cilantro, plum tomatoes (roughly chopped), chipotle and remaining Tbsp of olive oil to blender and blend till smooth.  Add blended mixture to vegetables along with broth, water, tomatoes and soup mix.  Stir in chili powder and cumin.  Add salt to taste.  Simmer until beans are cooked (this takes a while...  I'd say about 2 1/2 to 3 hours).

Serve with cheese and sour cream.

1 comment:

  1. Yummy. Sounds delicious!

    Hope this weekend is migraine-free.

    ReplyDelete