Sunday, January 9, 2011

Comfort food when it's really needed...

Well, it's certainly been one hell of a weekend out here in Arizona's District 8.  As most everyone has heard, our Congresswoman, Gabrielle Giffords, was shot in the head at point blank range.  She is currently in a medically induced coma, but still alive, and the doctor's seem hopeful.  In addition, more than a dozen others were shot, several killed, including a Federal judge that went to high school with a friend of mine and a 9 year old little girl.  There is a lot of sadness and disbelief going around right now.

Then, today, while I was at church, I saw a call coming in on my cell phone from one of my closest friends.  After church I listened to the voicemail she had left only to discover that her cousin, and also a friend of mine, had passed away at the young age of 38, seemingly of a heart attack.  He leaves behind a wife and three kids.  He was a great guy and had a great sense of humor, and it is truly a loss.

At times like this, there's little that anyone can do or say to fix the situation or lift spirits... and I had very little desire to whip up some big gourmet feast today.  Instead, I settled on a simple soup that provided a little bit of comfort when it was needed most.  The recipe is available here.

No comments:

Post a Comment