Monday, February 14, 2011

Over the hump

Well, I think I'm recovered from my caffeine withdrawal.  My morning is now filled with decaf coffee with soy creamer and stevia... and it's actually not a bad replacement.  I'm not feeling as tired as I was, and surprisingly, no headaches.  After reading about all the havoc that caffeine causes in your body, I just might stick with this.

In the meantime, I've resigned myself to pretty much cooking two dinners every night.  It's just too much of a pain to try to make things that both Mike and I will eat.  He wants chicken, I want tofu... and there's not a whole lot of room between the two to negotiate.  So, I accept that.  Although last night I offered to make some grilled chicken for him and he ended up eating the Chickpea and Kale Curry Stew I made instead.  Go figure.  Maybe just knowing that there was an OPTION of something else was enough for him.  The recipe is below.  It was pretty good with a piece of Ezekiel sprouted bread.

Chickpea and Kale Curry Stew
1 Tbs Olive Oil
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground tumeric
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 large onion, finely chopped
4 cups chopped kale
1 15-oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 15-oz can diced tomatoes
4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
1 15-oz can low fat coconut milk
1/2 cup chopped cilantro

Heat olive oil over medium-high heat.  Add onion and spices and saute for three minutes.  Add kale, chickpeas, tomatoes, broth and coconut milk.  Stir to combine and let simmer for 1 hour.  Add cilantro immediately before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment